Courtesy: Mark Planck
Liz Boyden
Vandals draw UTSA, 1-1
Courtesy: Idaho Athletic Media Relations
          Release: 09/30/2012
Files available Print RSS
SAN ANTONIO, Texas – University of Idaho senior goalkeeper Liz Boyden saved a penalty kick in the second overtime period and the Vandals came away with a 1-1 draw at UTSA on Sunday at San Antonio, Texas.

The draw moves Idaho’s record to 3-10-1 overall and 0-1-1 in Western Athletic Conference play, while UTSA is now 1-7-2 overall and 0-0-2 in the WAC.

After the official ruled that defender Lauren Layton made a foul tackle in the 18-yard box at 104:42 in the second overtime period, UTSA’s Liv Nyhegn stepped up and took the resulting penalty kick, but Boyden, a fifth-year senior, stopped what would have been a golden goal and preserved the tie.

It was Boyden’s second PK save this season. She is now three-for-three in her Idaho career when facing penalty kicks.

“Liz did what she does best and kept us in the game,” Idaho head coach Peter Showler said after the match. “I thought it was justice that she pulled off a great save and filled us with confidence again.”

That save was one of eight for Boyden on a day that was ruled by strong winds that pushed passes and shots off course all afternoon. Showler said that considering the difficult conditions, he was happy with the way the team played and was glad to earn the point.

“It was really hard to get a rhythm, but we played some great soccer for long stretches,” Showler said. “The girls just battled well and played hard, and I’m happy to get a draw on the road against a tough team that also took Seattle to double overtime on Friday.”

After a scoreless first half, Idaho got on the board first with strong combination play as sophomore Katie Baran sent in a cross and senior Chelsea Small redirected it to fellow senior Erica Hart at the six-yard box for a tap-in at 51:24.

“It was a great ball crossed in, a touch off, and then Erica finished it really well,” Showler said.

UTSA equalized in the 79th minute when Kauwela Neal hit a high shot that ricocheted off the crossbar and barely squeezed over the line to draw even at 1-1.

Idaho had one big scoring chance in the first overtime period when Baran took a rebound shot that got past the goalkeeper. The shot rolled partially over the end line, but UTSA keeper Katarina Pus snagged it before the ball completely crossed for one of her seven saves on the day.

In all, UTSA held a 25-15 shots advantage, but on-target attempts were more even at 9-8 in the Roadrunners’ favor. The two teams were whistled for a combined 35 fouls in the match, while UTSA earned 10 corners to Idaho’s three.

Hart’s goal was her second of the season, while Baran’s assist was her second of the weekend. Small’s assist is her first of the season and gives her 13 for her career, which is tied for third-most all-time at Idaho.

The Vandal women get a full week’s break before their next match when they face a third WAC newbie on Sunday, Oct. 7, at Seattle U. The Redhawks (6-5-1, 1-0-1 WAC) posted a 1-1 draw at UTSA and 2-0 win at Texas State on Friday and Sunday, respectively, in their first weekend of conference play.

“Any time we get just a one-game weekend, it’s a chance for the girls to get their legs back and hopefully be refreshed,” Showler said. “Seattle got a good win today, they’ve had a long trip like us and we know how good they are, so it’s going to be a tough test.”
Vandal Xtra
Member Login
Learn More
Enjoy PREMIUM access
and LIVE events!
More on
Learn More!
Vandal Camps
Learn from the Best!
Idaho Visitors Center
Uploaded Ad
Sun Belt
Idaho Sports Properties