|Vandals fall at USC|
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The Idaho women’s tennis team fell 4-0 at USC in the opening round of the NCAA tournament on Friday.
The 16th-seeded Trojans took the early lead by winning the doubles point, then picked up straight-set victories at Nos. 2, 4, and 5 singles for the 4-0 win.
“It was not the result that we were competing for but they’re a very strong team and we wish them the best of luck in the tournament,” Idaho coach Jeff Beaman said.
Idaho ends its season with a 19-6 overall record and won its first conference championship in program history in 2014.
“The seniors should have some real pride for what they have been a part of and the level they have brought the program to,” Beaman said. “The returning players now have the experience of playing in this environment and should be hungry to bring this program to new levels and realize that they can compete with players at all levels.”
Almudena Sanz fell 6-2, 6-0 at No. 2 singles, Sophie Vickers lost 6-1, 6-0 and Belen Barcenilla fell 6-0, 6-2 at No. 5. The Trojans advance to the round of 32 to face Michigan on Saturday.
#15 USC 4, Idaho 0
May 9, 2014 - Marks Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
(1) Christian/Olmos (USC) vs. Lozano/Sanz (I) -- 6-2, susp.
(2) Boren/Scandalis (USC) def. Bykova/Bermudez (I) -- 8-1
(3) Katz/DeSimone (USC) def. Vickers/Barcenilla (I) – 8-2
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2
(1) Zoe Scandalis (USC) vs. Victoria Lozano (I) – 6-4, 5-0, susp.
(2) Brynn Boren (USC) def. Almudena Sanz (I) – 6-2, 6-0
(3) Giuliana Olmos (USC) vs. Galina Bykova (I) – 6-0, 4-4, susp.
(4) Gabriella DeSimone (USC) def. Sophie Vickers (I) --6-1, 6-0
(5) Kaitlyn Christian (USC) def. Belen Barcenilla (I) – 6-0, 6-2
(6) Zoe Katz (USC) vs. Rita Bermudez (I) –6-3, 3-3, susp.
Order of finish: 5, 4, 2