University of Idaho junior Justin Veltung, a receiver/return specialist from Puyallup, Wash., is one of 50 players on the 2011 Paul Hornung Award Watch List (presented by Texas Roadhouse), which was announced Monday.
The award, which was established in 2010, honors the versatility that became the trademark of former Green Bay Packers great and Notre Dame star Paul Hornung. Veltung is one of 50 players on the list and one of just three from the Western Athletic Conference. Of the 50 players on the list, 20 are seniors, 20 are juniors and 10 are sophomores.
In two seasons, Veltung has amassed 1,717 all-purpose rushing yards, which includes 1,111 in kickoff returns, 504 in receptions and 102 rushing. His 1,111 kickoff returns yards (425 as a freshman and 686 as a sophomore) rank fourth all-time at Idaho for a career, as do his return totals of 47 (30 in 2010 and 425 in 2009).
On two occasions, Veltung has scored on a kickoff return - 94 yards against Louisiana Tech as a freshman and 84 yards at Fresno State as a sophomore.
In addition to on-field performance, fan voting also will be factored into the award this year. Here is a list of the criteria for determining the 2011 Paul Hornung Award winner:
- A panel of college football experts will develop an Official Watch List with input from the Selection Committee and other sources.
- Names will be added to the Official Watch list as the season progresses based upon player performance. LSC staff will select top performers and featured games during the season.
- Selection Committee members will vote for Finalists using a 5-3-1 point system (1st place - 5 points; 2nd place - 3 points; 3rd place - 1 point). A designated number of players with the most points will comprise the Finalist List.
- Selection Committee members will select their top three from the finalist pool, ranked in order 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place. The 5-3-1 point system will be used to determine the winner.
- Fan voting on Facebook will account for the 17th vote, approximately 6% of the overall votes, using the 5-3-1 point system. (The player with the most fan votes will receive 5 points; the player with the second most votes will receive 3 points; the player with third most votes will receive 1 point.) Results of fan voting will be cumulative during season. Fan voting for Finalists will open September 5 and close December 4. Fan voting totals will be cleared once the Finalists are selected. Finalists will be announced December 9. Voting for the winner will take place during the bowl season with specific dates and details to be announced.