Courtesy: Rod Commons (Pullman, Wash.)
Vandals blanked at WSU
Courtesy: Idaho Athletic Media Relations
          Release: 09/21/2013
Photo Album Print RSS

PULLMAN, Wash. – The Idaho football team forced four Washington State turnovers but the Vandal offense was unable to keep pace with the Cougars in a 42-0 loss at Martin Stadium on Saturday night.

D’Mario Carter and Christian Whitehead each had interceptions and Whitehead also forced a fumble, while Maxx Force recovered two WSU fumbles to lead the Idaho defense.

“I thought our defense played pretty hard all game” Idaho coach Paul Petrino said. “They obviously made a bunch of plays on us but we didn’t take advantage when the defense did make plays. Offensively we just took turns killing ourselves.”

The Vandals produced 253 yards of total offense and held the ball for 38:06, but were hindered by two turnovers.

Washington State had the first quarter lead – but the score came on the heels of the turnovers Petrino has said have wrecked so much havoc so far this fall. Joshua McCain was intercepted by Deone Bucannon who returned the ball to the Idaho 47. Three plays later, Connor Halliday hooked up with Gabe Marks for a 43-yard TD.

The teams traded punts for the rest of the quarter until D’Mario Carter grabbed his first career interception to give the Vandals the ball at the Cougar 45 with 13 seconds remaining in the quarter.

The Vandals didn’t capitalize on the opportunity and the Cougars marched 64 yards in 10 plays to up their lead to 14-0 on a six-yard pass from Halliday to Dom Williams.

Another turnover by the Vandals – the one a fumble by Kristoffer Olugbode led to a one-play scoring drive by the Cougars. Olugbode’s fumble was the end of an already ill-fated drive during which the Vandals had three fumbles and a tackle for loss in facing third and 27 when he lost his grip on the ball. Halliday hooked up with Vince Mayle for the 20-yard TD and the 21-0 lead with 5:05 left in the first half.

The Cougars made it 28-0 just 24 seconds before the half expired when Halliday found Gabe Marks with a one-yard toss to score.

The Vandals forced turnovers on three successive WSU possessions – two fumble recoveries by Maxx Forde and an interception by Christian Whitehead, in the third quarter but were unable to capitalize on any of them. Instead, the Cougars added another TD after taking over on downs at the Idaho 20. Jeremiah Laufasa scored on a 13-yard run for the 35-0 lead with 2:17 left in the third.

Laufasa made it 42-0 when he capped a 72-yard, 10-play drive with a three-yard run with 8:15 left in the game.

“It’s a process of getting things right,” Petrino said. “We got whopped today so you just have to go back out tomorrow and go to work hard and try to get better.”

Idaho quarterback Chac Challich completed 17-of-23 passes for 167 yards without an interception or a touchdown, and Josh McCain completed one of two passes for seven yards. His other pass was picked off. Dezmon Epps caught a team-high six passes for Idaho for 37 yards, and James Baker rushed 11 times for 43 yards for the Vandals.

The Vandals return to the Kibbie Dome next Saturday when they host Temple for Homecoming. Kickoff is at 2 p.m.

Vandal Xtra
Member Login
Learn More
Enjoy PREMIUM access
and LIVE events!
More on
Learn More!
Vandal Camps
Learn from the Best!
Idaho Visitors Center
Uploaded Ad
Sun Belt
Idaho Sports Properties