|MTEN wins twice|
LEWISTON, Idaho - The Idaho men's tennis team made it three wins in a row after a pair of 6-1 victories over Eastern Washington and Lewis-Clark State College Saturday.
The Vandals improve to 7-6 on the season with the wins and have won three in a row for the first time this year.
Idaho was perfect in doubles on the day, winning the doubles point 3-0 in both matches to get things started. Marius Cirstea and Abid Akbar both had a pair of straight-set wins at the No. 1 and 2 singles positions, as did Alan Shin and Cesar Torres at No. 5 and 6. Jose Bendeck won in three sets at No. 4 against LCSC, but lost a three-setter against Eastern Washington. Cristobal Ramos Salazar won a tight three-set match against EWU at No. 3 singles, but lost in three sets to LCSC.
"Winning the doubles point in both matches was key to both wins," Idaho coach Jeff Beaman said. "Today was a confidence-builder for the guys and hopefully they can carry this into our very tough matches in California next weekend."
The Vandals return to action next week when they face Saint Mary's on March 9, No. 37 Santa Clara on March 10, Wisconsin on March 11 and No. 16 Fresno State on March 13.
Idaho 6, LSCS 1
1. Andrew Dobbs-Marius Cirstea (Idaho) def Ivan Krijanto-Benjamin Robert 8-6
2. Abid Akbar-Jose Bendeck (Idaho) def Sam Tozer-Anders Tischer 8-4
3. Jake Knox-Cristobal Ramos Salazar (Idaho) def Tyler Oram-Jeff Lowndes 8-6
1. Marius Cirstea (Idaho) def Anders Tischer 6-4 6-1
2. Abid Akbar (Idaho) def Sam Tozer 6-2 6-2
3. Ivan Krijanto (LCSC) def Cristobal Ramos Salazar 3-6 6-3 6-4
4. Jose Bendeck (Idaho) def Cesar Uauy 6-2 4-6 6-1
5. Alan Shin (Idaho) def Benjamin Robert 7-6 6-2
6. Cesar Torres (Idaho) def Lincoln Gay 6-0 6-0
Final Score: LCSC 1 Idaho 6
Idaho 6, EWU 1
1.Andrew Dobbs,Marcus Cirstea (Idaho) def Ilija Cuic,Kyle Koetje 8-3
2.Abid Akbar,Jose Bendeck (Idaho) def James Russell,Mario Navarro 8-6
3.Jake Knox,Cristobal Ramos Salazar (Idaho) def Chad Henninger,Julian Sanchez 9-7
1.Marius Cirstea (Idaho) def Ilija Cuic 6/2 6/2
2.Abid Akbar (Idaho) def Mario Navarro 6/2 6/0
3.Cristobal Ramos Salazar (Idaho) def Julian Sanchez 6/1 6/7(2) 6/2
4. Chad Henninger (EWU) def Jose Bendeck 6/3 3/6 6/3
5.Alan Shin (Idaho) def Kyle Koetje 7/5 6/1
6.Cesar Torres (Idaho) def Stefan Simikic 6/2 6/3
Idaho 6 EWU 1