|Men's tennis tops Southern Miss|
BOISE, Idaho – The No. 62 Idaho men’s tennis team opened the Boise State University tournament with a 4-2 win over Southern Mississippi on Friday. The Vandals improve to 16-1 on the season with the win.
The Vandals got wins at the top two doubles spots to earn the doubles point, then got wins from Abid Akbar, Marius Cirstea and Jose Bendeck at Nos. 2, 3 and 4 singles to pick up the win.
“The guys really stepped up against a very tough Southern Mississippi team,” Idaho coach Jeff Beaman said. “We came up big in the doubles and continued to elevate our game in singles.”
Idaho’s Dmitry Perevoshchikov fell 6-4, 6-3 at No. 1 singles, his first singles loss of the season.
“It was tough to see Dmitry take his first singles loss in singles, although he continued to battle and fight until the end.”
USM falls to 13-7 on the season with the loss.
Idaho will take on Utah at 6 p.m. (PT) on Saturday.
Idaho (16-1) vs. Southern Mississippi (13-7)
at Boise State University Boas Indoor Tennis Center
Start: 11:15 a.m. - Finish: 3:25 p.m. (Mountain)
Idaho def. Southern Miss 4-2
Doubles Results (Order of finish: not reported)
1. Marius Cirstea/Abid Akbar (UI) def. Andrew Goodwin/Matt Frost (USM), 8-5
2. Jose Bendeck/Cristobal Ramos Salazar (UI) def. Vasco Valverde/Benjamin Feldmann (USM), 8-5
3. Juan Escobar/Paulo Alvarado (USM) def. Dmitry Perevoshchikov/Matt Oddonetto (UI), 8-5
Singles Results (Order of finish: 3,1,5,2,4)
1. Matt Frost (USM) def. No. 122 Dmitry Perevoshchikov (UI), 6-4, 6-3
2. Abid Akbar (UI) def. Andrew Goodwin (USM), 7-6 (2), 6-4
3. Marius Cirstea (UI) def. Benjamin Feldmann (USM), 6-4, 7-6 (2)
4. Jose Bendeck (UI) def. Vasco Valverde (USM), 6-3, 6-3
5. Paulo Alvarado (USM) def. Cesar Torres (UI), 6-1, 6-4
6. Cristobal Ramos Salazar (UI) vs. Juan Escobar (USM), DNF (scores not reported)