|Men's tennis falls at Utah State|
LOGAN, Utah – The Idaho men’s tennis team dropped a tough 4-3 match at Utah State on Friday, falling to 5-7 on the season and snapping a string of two-straight wins.
“Utah State came out fired up and playing hard as it has a lot this season,” Idaho coach Jeff Beaman said. “We are going hard at spots but at times not showing up the way we need to across the board.”
The Vandals dropped the doubles point with an 8-7 loss at No. 1 and an 8-1 loss at No. 2. Artemiy Nikitin and Cesar Torres won 8-6 at No. 3 doubles.
Idaho got singles wins from Jose Bendeck at No. 2, Cristobal Ramos Salazar at No. 3 and Cesar Torres at No. 5, but it wasn’t enough for the win.
“I want to congratulate Cesar for a day of great effort and competition,” Beaman said. “If he can carry today’s effort to tomorrow and it rubs off on some other guys, we can push a tough BYU team.”
The Vandals face BYU on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. (PT).
Utah State 4 - Idaho 3
1. Dennis Baumgartner (USU) def. Artemiy Nikitin (UI) 7-6, 6-4
2. Jose Bendeck (UI) def. Macrus Fritz (USU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Cristobal Salazar (UI) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Matt Sweet (USU) def. Odon Barta (UI) 6-4, 6-4
5. Cesar Torres (UI) def. Sebastian Schneider (USU) 2-6, 6-4, 10-6
6. Sean Levesque (USU) def. Sam Laudon (UI) 6-2, 6-1
1. Baumgartner/Fritz (USU) def. Bendeck/Salazar (UI) 8-7
2. Sweet/Schneider (USU) def. Oddonetto/Barta (UI) 8-1
3. Nikitin/Torres (UI) def. Levesque/Whiting (USU) 8-6
Order of Finish: Singles (2,4,3,1,6,5) Doubles (2,3,1)