|Idaho struggles in WAC opener|
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The University of Idaho Women's Tennis team fell in its conference opener to Fresno State 6-1 on Saturday.
It was the Vandals first loss in nearly three months and snapped the team's 16-match winning streak.
"I am very disappointed with our performance today," Women's Tennis Head Coach Tyler Neill. "Fresno State is a tough team and they have dominated this conference for the past 8 years. I thought we had a good chance against them today, but we just came out flat."
Idaho could not keep-up its momentum from yesterday's 4-3 victory over Santa Clara.
"We were not mentally tough and we need to work on playing steady instead of having emotional highs and lows throughout our matches," Neill said.
Barbara Maciocha and Yvette Ly took their doubles match but Idaho still lost the doubles point to Fresno State.
"We had an opportunity to clinch the doubles point, but we let it slip away," Neill said. "Overall, I thought our doubles play was solid, but I think after losing a close doubles point like that, we were kind of down going into singles."
Maria Perevoshchikova gained the lone point for the Vandals with her strong 4-6, 7-6, 11-9 win against Laura Pola at the No. 2 position.
"Maria played very well and was consistent throughout her match," Neill said. "Even when she was down, she did not panic and kept with her game plan."
Idaho has two more conference matches tomorrow against San Jose State and Hawaii.
University of Idaho vs. Fresno State
April 3, 2010 - San Jose, CA
1. Kucerkova/Pola (FS) def. Niculescu/Perevoshchikova (UI) - 8-6
2. McQueen/Modoc (FS) def. Irimescu/Ly (UI) - 8-3
3. Maciocha/Ly (UI) def. Gragera-Cano/Mikhaylova (FS) - 8-5
1. Renata Kucerkova (FS) def. Gabriela Niculescu (UI) - 6-0,6-4
2. Maria Perevoshchikova (UI) def. Laura Pola (FS) - 4-6,7-6,11-9
3. Bianca Modoc (FS) def. Silvia Irimescu (UI) - 6-2,6-1
4. Melissa McQueen (FS) def. Alexandra Ulesanu (UI) - 6-3,6-4
5. Julia Gragera-Cano (FS) def. Daniela Cohen (UI) - 6-2,ret.
6. Anna Mikhaylova (FS) def. Barbara Maciocha (UI) - 6-2,6-4
Final: University of Idaho 1 - Fresno State 6