|Women's tennis gets tenth win|
HONOLULU, Hawai`i – The Idaho women’s tennis team notched its second Western Athletic Conference victory of the season on Saturday, topping Louisiana Tech 5-2 in Honolulu, Hawai`i.
Idaho improved to 10-4 with the win, and 2-2 in WAC play.
The Vandals took the doubles point by winning at all three doubles positions, including an 8-7 win by Victoria Lozano and Lauren Simpson at No. 1.
“Overall, I was happy with our doubles,” Idaho coach Tyler Neill said. “We played aggressive and we put them on the defensive early.”
LA Tech stole wins at the top two singles spots, as Lozano fell 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 at No. 1 and Silvia Irimescu fell 6-3, 6-4 at No. 2 for Idaho. But wins from Barbara Maciocha, Molly Knox, Yvette Ly and Alejandra Lozano at the No. 3, 4, 5, and 6 singles spots sealed Idaho’s tenth win of the season.
“Once again, our depth was our strength in singles,” Neill said. “The bottom of our lineup really carried us today. “I thought Molly played really well. She controlled her match throughout and was very steady with her play. This was a nice win for us today. Louisiana Tech is a really improved team and I knew this would be a tough match.”
The Vandals wrap up their road trip on Sunday with their fourth match in four days in a non-conference battle against Chaminade.
University of Idaho vs. Louisiana Tech University
April 2, 2011 – Honolulu, HI
1. V. Lozano/Simpson (UI) def. Barnard/Zurek (LT) – 8-7
2. Ly/Knox (UI) def. ten Dolle/De Wit (LT) – 8-3
3. Maciocha/Kirch (UI) def. Vivay/Erofeyeva (LT) – 8-1
1. Elne Barnard (LT) def. Victoria Lozano (UI) – 7-5,4-6,6-2
2. Vivian ten Dolle (LT) def. Silvia Irimescu (UI) – 6-3,6-4
3. Barbara Maciocha (UI) def. Melanie Urvoy (LT) – 6-2,4-6,6-1
4. Molly Knox (UI) def. Maartje de Wit (LT) – 6-1,6-2
5. Yvette Ly (UI) def. Anna Zurek (LT) – 6-1,6-1
6. Alejandra Lozano (UI) def. Alena Erofeyeva (LT) – 6-2,6-4
FINAL: UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO 5 – LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY 2