|Vandals roll to 6-1 win|
MOSCOW, Idaho – The Idaho women’s tennis team picked up a 6-1 win over Eastern Washington in front of its home crowd on Tuesday.
The Vandals swept the doubles matches to win the doubles point, and got singles wins at the No. 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 spots to claim the victory.
“This was a good win for us,” Idaho coach Tyler Neill said. “It was nice to play in front of our home crowd and play a good match.”
The Vandals improve to 16-6 on the season with the win, and will wrap up the regular season on April 23 at home against Lewis-Clark State College.
The Vandals overpowered the Eagles at nearly every position, as Victoria Lozano won 6-1, 6-0 at No. 1 singles, Lauren Simpson won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 2, Barbara Maciocha won 6-2, 6-0 at No. 3 and Alejandra Lozano won 6-2, 6-0 at No. 6. Molly Knox won a closer match, 6-4, 6-3 at No. 5 singles, while Silvia Irimescu fell 6-1, 6-1 at No. 3.
“Throughout we played smart and consistent tennis, which is exactly what I hoping for,” Neill said. “I thought Lauren was particularly impressive today. She played smart tennis throughout her match and she never let her opponent get into the match.”
After closing the season against LCSC, the Vandals will head to Boise, Idaho for the Western Athletic Conference tournament April 29-May 1.
University of Idaho vs. Eastern Washington University
April 19, 2011 – Moscow, ID
1. V. Lozano/Simpson (UI) def. Diamanti/Liening (EWU) – 8-4
2. Ly/Knox (UI) def. Patton/Ricks (EWU) – 8-2
3. Maciocha/Kirch (UI) def. Silha/Steele (EWU) – 8-2
1. Victoria Lozano (UI) def. Nefeli Diamanti (EWU) – 6-1,6-0
2. Lauren Simpson (UI) def. Judy Liening (EWU) – 6-1,6-1
3. Ryann Warner (EWU) def. Silvia Irimescu (UI) – 6-1,6-1
4. Barbara Maciocha (UI) def. Chelsea Patton (EWU) – 6-2,6-0
5. Molly Knox (UI) def. Helon Ricks (EWU) – 6-4,6-3
6. Alejandra Lozano (UI) def. Rocio Norena (EWU) – 6-2,6-0
FINAL: UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO 6 – EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY 1