|Vandals win third straight|
EL PASO, Texas - It took all seven points to determine a winner, but in the end the Idaho women's tennis team kept up its recent momentum, picking up its third straight win and its sixth in its last seven matches with a 4-3 win over UTEP on Friday afternoon.
Alejandra Lozano won the deciding point with a 6-1 third-set victory with the overall match tied 3-all. The Vandals improve to 10-4 on the season with the win.
It was Idaho's first outdoor match of the season, and the conditions were testy, as high winds challenged both teams.
"Tough match and really tough conditions," Idaho coach Dan Pollock said. "Up to 30 mile per hour winds during the match and it was our first outdoor match so not exactly a gentle introduction to outdoor tennis. I'm really proud of the way the girls fought through and got the W."
The Vandals swept through doubles to pick up an early 1-0 match lead, and got wins at No. 1 singles from Victoria Lozano and No. singles from Sophie Vickers before Alejandra Lozano's win at No. 5 singles clinched Idaho's 10th win of the season.
"Today was really about which team wanted it most. They don't have the best record but they fought really hard. IT was a tough match to start the outdoor season."
The Vandals will return to action Saturday when they visit New Mexico in Las Cruces, N.M. Idaho will wrap up the weekend with its Western Athletic Conference opener against New Mexico State.
"We've got to come out and fight like that tomorrow against New Mexico and I think we'll have a really good chance to win."
1. Victoria Lozano (ID) def. Martina Trierweiler (UTEP) 6-2, 7-6
2. Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Almudena Sanz (ID) 7-5, 6-4
3. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Molly Knox (ID) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
4. Sophie Vickers (ID) def. Anastasiya Sylenko (UTEP) 6-0, 6-0
5. Alejandra Lozano (ID) def. Dariya Abdrakhmanova (UTEP) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Beatriz Flores (ID) 6-4, 6-1
1. V. Lozano/Almudena Sanz (ID) def. Martina Trierweiler/Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) 8-5
2. Molly Knox/Sophie Vickers (ID) def. Marie LeBlond/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 8-6
3. A. Lozano/Beatriz Flores (ID) def. D. Abdrakhmanova/A. Sylenko (UTEP) 8-5