|Vandal women top Portland|
SPOKANE, Wash. - The Idaho women's tennis team didn't let a 3-1 deficit slow it down as the bottom of the Vandal singles lineup came up big with wins at the 4, 5 and 6 singles spots to earn a 4-3 victory over Portland.
The Vandals improve to 14-5 on the season with the win, and have won seven of their last eight matches overall.
"It's another good win for us and for the program," Idaho coach Dan Pollock said. "Overall the most positive thing that came out of today was the doubles point. In the end that basically decided the match. We played some of the best doubles we've played all semester."
The Vandals won the top two doubles matches as Victoria Lozano and Almudena Sanz won 8-5 at No. 1 and Molly Knox and Alejandra Lozano won 8-6 at No. 2. Idaho stumbled to open singles play, however, as Portland picked up straight-set victories over Lozano, Sanz and Knox at the top three singles spots. Sophie Vickers, Alejandra Lozano and Beatriz Flores won at the bottom three singles spots, however, to clinch the win.
"The bottom of the lineup came up big for us. We won at 4 5 and 6 after being down 3-1," Pollock said. "The girls really stepped up with a lot of pressure and the match on the line. A good result for us and I'm really happy."
Idaho 4, Portland 3
1. Victoria Lozano/Almudena Sanz (UI) def. Emily Mahairas/Alice Tucker (UP) 8-5
3. Gabrielle Gorence/Sabine Fuchs (UP) def. Alejandra Lozano/Beartiz Flores (UI) 8-5
1. Nastya Polyakova (UP) def. Victoria Lozano (UI) 6-1, 6-1
2. Sabine Fuchs (UP) def. Amudena Sanz (UI) 6-2, 6-4
3. Valeska Hoath (UP) def. Molly Knox (UI) 6-1, 6-3
4. Sophie Vickers (UI) def. Alice Tucker (UP) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Alejandra Lozano (UI) def. Emily Mahairas (UP) 6-2, 6-2
6. Beatriz Flores (UI) def. Gabrielle Gorence (UP) 6-2, 6-2