Managing Test Anxiety
· Know your material well and prepare thoroughly.
· Schedule study time wisely to avoid cramming.
· Be familiar with test taking strategies.
· Learn coping skills for anxiety:
-Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.
-Decrease use of caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and other substances.
· Substitute negative thoughts and feelings with rational, positive statements.
· Set reasonable expectations.
· Seek help if you have difficulty managing excessive anxiety:
-Tutoring and Academic Assistance Programs: 5-6307
-Student Counseling Center: 5-6716
-Health Services: 5-6693
· Tense and hold muscles throughout body for 10 seconds. Relax and repeat.
· Take a deep breath, hold it for 10 seconds. Exhale through your mouth. Repeat.
· Take a deep breath, hold for 10 seconds, and squeeze both hands into tight fists at the same time. Exhale and relax. Repeat.
· Tense the muscles in your feet for 10 seconds. Relax and repeat.
· Close your eyes and repeat positive affirmations to yourself.
Info from: UI Tutoring and Academic Assistance Programs