|Sweet Sixteen For Women's Tennis|
SANTA CLARA, Calif. - It is a sweet 16 or the University of Idaho Women's Tennis team as the Vandals cruised to its 16th win in a row.
Idaho clipped Santa Clara 4-3 on Friday to improve its record to 16-1 on the season. Santa Clara was ranked No. 73 in the nation last week.
"This was a big win for us because Santa Clara is a very good team," Women's Tennis Head Coach Tyler Neill said. "They are a team that deserves to be in the national rankings."
The Vandals started well by taking the doubles point. Barbara Maciocha and Alexandra Ulesanu clinched the doubles point with an impressive come from behind 9-7 victory over Jessica Agra/Carmen Pham.
"In doubles, we didn't play our best, but we found a way to win," Neill said. "I was impressed with Basia and Alex coming back in doubles after being down 3-0 to start the match."
Idaho clinched the victory in singles play with wins from Gabriela Niculescu, Maria Perevoshchikova and Ulesanu.
"In singles, I thought we played well at all of the positions in our lineup," Neill said. "Some of the singles went our way and some didn't, which is to be expected when you play a team as tough as Santa Clara. That is why winning the doubles is so important."
Niculescu and Perevoshchikova played had extremely close matches but prevailed at the one and two positions respectively.
"Gabriela got off to a slow start, but really played well in the 2nd and 3rd sets," Neill said. "I also though Maria played very well. After battling through a tough first set, she used her momentum to roll in the second."
Idaho has a busy weekend in conference as they take Fresno State on Saturday and Hawaii and San Jose State on Sunday.
University of Idaho vs. Santa Clara University
April 2, 2010 - Santa Clara, CA
1. Niculescu/Perevoshchikova (UI) def. Cox/Wagner (SCU) - 8-4
2. Lamble/McGeorge (SCU) def. Irimescu/Ly (UI) - 8-2
3. Maciocha/Ulesanu (UI) def. Agra/Pham (SCU) - 9-7
1. Gabriela Niculescu (UI) def. Alex Zaniewski (SCU) - 3-6,6-4,6-0
2. Maria Perevoshchikova (UI) def. Kelly Lamble (SCU) - 7-6,6-2
3. Kacie Wagner (SCU) def. Silvia Irimescu (UI) - 6-3,3-6,7-6
4. Alexandra Ulesanu (UI) def. Maggie McGeorge (SCU) - 6-2,6-4
5. Jessica Agra (SCU) def. Barbara Maciocha (UI) - 6-4,6-2
6. Carmen Pham (SCU) def. Yvette Ly (UI) - 6-4,7-5
Final: University of Idaho 4 - Santa Clara University 3